In this course, you will learn the key components to a successful winter wheat growing season – from controlling weeds and diseases to timing of planting and fertilizing the winter wheat crop.
There are many considerations when it comes to growing winter wheat. Learn more about the critical factors needed to establish winter wheat in the fall to have a successful crop and harvest period in the spring. These decisions include:
- Determining the best date for planting,
- Creating fertility plans,
- And using products like Levesol® DFC to help with both micronutrient and phosphorus uptake.
This course also covers disease pressures that the winter wheat crops face – both from soil and seed-borne diseases and insects. The diseases covered include:
- Root Rot (Pythium)
- Bare Patch (Rhizoctonia)
- Scab (Fusarium)
- Loose Smut (Ustilago)
- Foot Rots/Crown Rots (Fusarium, Cocliobolus)
You will also learn about important diseases to be aware of such as smuts and bunts, which can account for 50% of the disease pressures found in the field. Explore the effects of winter wheat diseases. The importance of having a strong fungicide and/or insecticide seed treatment, such as Lancaster® or Lancaster FnI, will help control most cereal disease and insect pressures that can affect the early development of winter wheat.
By successfully completely this 40-minute course you will be able to share with your customers:
- The hurdles and advantages to establishing a good winter wheat stand in the fall.
- How to manage problematic pests, such as the wheat streak mosaic virus.
- The risks involved with choosing earlier planting dates.
- Why it is important to fertilize, and the best time and methods for fertilizing winter wheat.
- How to manage the different disease and insect pressures winter wheat may face throughout the year.
This course includes the following lessons:
- Winter Wheat Planting: Key Components for Success (20 min)
- Winter Wheat: Combating Disease Pressure (10 min)
Supplemental materials include:
- Blog Posts
- Using Seed Treatments to Give Winter Wheat a Strong Start
- Protect Against Disease & Insects with Seed Treatments
- Nufarm’s Solutions for Stronger Winter Wheat
- Agronomy Update
- Seed Treatment Min Temp & Weight [PDF]
- Sales Materials
- Lancaster [PDF]
- Lancaster FnI [PDF]
Click the button below to get started!TAKE THE COURSE